Sunday, November 21, 2010

Let the Search Begin

Honey-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
I ask my husband all the time, "Do you think this will be my thing?" His answer is usually something along the lines of: "I'm not sure, babe. It's good. When you find your thing, you'll know it." See, my grandmother on my dad's side is known for her cookies. There's always a container filled with cookies on her counter - chocolate chip, oatmeal, even those chocolate cake-like ones with the white frosting that I really don't like, but I'll eat them anyway. My grandmother on my momma's side can roll pie crust thinner than your grandmother, and it's perfect every single time. My stepmother's pot roast made my then 5-year-old brother title her "a very good cooker." My momma? Maybe I can't name her thing, but you can ask around and people will tell you: Her bread is amazing, her eggplant parm is something I request whenever I'm in town, her rice balls are one-of-a-kind, and she makes awesome gravy - which is especially impressive because she doesn't have an ounce of Italian blood in her. 

So, as I enter my first year of marriage, I also find myself embarking on the search for my thing. The husband has challenged me to try a new recipe a week, and I've accepted this challenge with open arms. So far he has learned he loves chicken curry, enjoyed homemade gnocchi and asked me to please never make pepper-and-cheese-stuffed chicken breasts again. I guess you could say things are going well so far. 

This week, though, I'm not just cooking for the husband. This week, I had to make a dish for the husband to pass at his company's Thanksgiving gathering. Last year I made a sweet potato dish. I'm ashamed to say I took the easy route again this year and told him to sign me up for sweet potatoes. I've tried a new recipe, though, and will be crossing my fingers until he gets home from work. I really hope they go over well. And that alone would make me happy. I'm sure these cubed sweet potatoes won't be my thing, but I'll settle for having the husband whose wife makes the really awesome sweet potatoes every year at Thanksgiving. Maybe these sweet potatoes will be one of my things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...