Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mushrooms and More Veggie Pizza

vegetarian pizza

The wife: I think I need a part-time job at a pizza place. I need to learn how to toss dough. Do you think I'd get hired?
The husband: No, you my have been raised by Italians, but you're not Italian. And you'd want to make everything too healthy.
The wife: Isn't that discrimination?
The husband, shaking his head: No. It doesn't matter. An Irish girl can't work at a pizza place. I wouldn't eat pizza if you made it.
The wife: But you're eating pizza I made right now.
The husband: But I wouldn't pay for it. 

I frowned when the husband said that, but he just smirked and laughed. Yes, the man thinks he's hilarious. Actually, I think this might be one of those instances he was telling me about last night. He said we have a long, long time to be together, and he has to keep things interesting, which is exactly why he feels the need to crack jokes that aren't one bit funny. (You heard right, Little Big Brother. Your brother-in-law is not one bit funny.)







As much as the husband wants to joke, though, he happily at the veggie pizza I made him tonight - even if it did look like a manatee.


Somehow my slices ended up with less cheese than the husband. Oh, well.
Pepper, Onion and Mushroom Pizza
Dough From Eating Well


Whole Wheat Pizza Dough:
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 package quick-rising yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2-2/3 cup hot water, (heated to about 120°F)
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

Toppings:
1 small can tomato sauce, heated with fresh bail leaves, 1 chopped garlic clove and Italian seasonings
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2-3/4 chopped mushrooms
3/4 cup low-moisture part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese

Prepare the dough, according to Eating Well's directions. 


While the dough rises on the counter, heat the sauce in a small saucepan with the garlic and seasonings. Let the sauce simmer, stirring frequently, while you chop the veggies and enjoy a beer with your husband. Or, if it looks like you might run out of beer, feel free to pour yourself a nice glass of red.








Heat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and cover evenly with 1 tablespoon cornmeal. Spread the dough to cover the baking sheet. (If your dough doesn't spread evenly, spread it as best as you can. If your dough looks like a manatee, like mine did, that's OK.)



Top the dough with the sauce, pepper, onion, mushrooms and cheese.

Bake the pizza for 12-14 minutes or until lightly brown and done to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...