Monday, August 8, 2011

Meatless Monday: I Can't Read, But I Can Cook Burritos

Bean and Corn Burritos
While in a big-box store a couple of months ago the husband tells me he needs white t-shirts. I pick up a pack and throw them into the cart. "Put those back," he tells me. "These are cheaper." He replaces the shirts I had just picked up with his better, cheaper, package.

A couple of days later, the husband is getting ready for work and comes out of the bedroom laughing. "We need to return those shirts we just bought. They're for little boys!"


So there I went, back to the big-box store, a few days and told the nice lady in customer service there was nothing wrong with the shirts. 


"Unfortunately," I told her, "my husband can't read." I got a kick out of myself and, luckily, after a few seconds she realized I was making a joke and found my humor amusing, as well.


Unfortunately, I was the butt of my own joke tonight when I realized I can't read either. I guess it's good we don't need to teach the dogs to read.








I had full intentions of making refried beans and rice burritos for dinner, and the husband thought they sounded really good, even though he always tells me he doesn't like refried beans. I grabbed all of my ingredients and got ready to make dinner in about five minutes flat.

The recipe called for a package of frozen Southwestern-style rice. I'm not sure if you've had them before, but they're handy. I know, I know, I'm all about scratch-made food and prefer to avoid packaged foods whenever possible, but those bags of frozen veggies are so nice to have in the house when you're in a rush. So I grabbed a bag out of the freezer, popped it into the microwave and proceeded to cut up some vegetables.



Four minutes later I removed our "rice" from the microwave and realized we wouldn't be having beans and rice burritos. We were going to eat bean and Southwestern corn burritos.


It turned out my inability to read didn't ruin dinner. We both really enjoyed our burritos and the husband even said I should make them again sometime because he really liked them. I think I'll take his advice and add this to the "keeper" list. But, next time, I think I'll make them with rice.




Refried Beans and Corn Burritos
Inspired by Cooking Light


1 (10-ounce) package frozen Southwestern-style corn
1/2 cup fat-free refried beans
2 whole wheat tortillas (I love the Ole high fiber wraps that only have about 70 calories apiece)
1/4 cup reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
lettuce, about 2 cups
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup salsa
nonfat plain yogurt


Microwave the corn as per the package directions.


Spoon half of the beans onto each wrap; top each wrap with 1/3 cup corn and 2 tablespoons cheese.


Wrap the burritos up and place seam-side down in a baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2-3 minutes. (Be careful not to let the plastic wrap touch the burritos.)


Place lettuce onto each plate and top with a burrito. Top each burrito with tomato, cuke and salsa. Add 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, if you're like me.


Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud reading this! Too funny. I've done things like more than I care to admit! Lol. I love the sound of these burritos though. Corn is a big favorite in our house. I think they'd be great in burritos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to shut down the computer, head for bed and read myself to sleep when I stopped by my Blogger dashboard and saw that you had a meatless-Monday post. I LOVE these. There's always something that gets me giggling (and 90% of the time it's The Husband's reactions). This is priceless.

    Hubby has a packet of underwear that'll never be worn because he suffers the same ailment. They ended up being 5 sizes too big but he figured if he washed them in hot water they'd be fine. Now they're only 3 sizes too big. :)

    FYI, I'd prefer the burrito with corn instead of rice. Rice in burritos doesn't sit well with me (too much like maggots in my food).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...