Monday, July 16, 2012

Meatless Monday: Eggplant "Sandwiches"

Pin It

I like to think Eggplant "Sandwiches" are good for growing babies.
I almost ate an entire eggplant one day last week. You see, I let the husband eat four slices. So I can say I didn't eat the whole thing myself.

But let's be honest here: I could have.

I sliced 1 medium eggplant into quarter-inch slices, dipped them in a mixture of 1 beaten egg and 1 beaten egg white, then coated them in equal parts wheat germ and Italian breadcrumbs.

When the slices were nice and covered, I sprayed a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, laid out the slices and baked 'em in a 375-degree-oven. I baked them for about 10-15 minutes, flipped them and continued to bake them a little more. 

When the eggplant slices were softened and light brown, they were ready to come out of the oven. They were great to eat at this point sprinkled with just a dash of salt, but if you want to make "sandwiches," there's a tiny bit more work to do.

Top one slice with about 2 tablespoons red sauce and 2 tablespoons mozzarella and stick another slice on top. Put the "sandwiches" back in the oven until the cheese is melted.

Share and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...