Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Totally Vegetarian Tuesday? Check.

falafel balls
Baked Falafel Balls

Having failed so miserably at my shot at Meatless Monday this week, I was determined to make up for it today. And I'm proud to say it was a totally vegetarian Tuesday for me. The husband didn't quite make it a meat-free day - he ate leftover sausage patties for breakfast and chicken salad for lunch. But there's always next week, right? At least he's on the right path: He was more than willing to try falafel balls for dinner, and we even ended the evening with a quick yoga session. Though I've wondered maybe we should have waited until after the holidays to adopt this new outlook on eating - and life - but I think we're doing alright. We'll just take it one week at a time.

Baked Falafel Balls
15 ounces garbanzo beans
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Mix all of the ingredients in a food processor until everything is combined.


Roll the mixture into balls - I got 22 - and bake till lightly brown. (I think we baked our falafel balls for about 18 minutes.)

Dinner wasn't that bad, but I think this recipe definitely has some room for improvement. I think it needs a little more spice or something, but it filled us up, so I can't complain. I served our falafel balls on tortillas (corn for me and flour for the husband) with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers. I thought they were great topped with fat free plain yogurt, but once the husband heard I'd used cumin, he reached for the taco sauce. 


Servings Per Recipe: 2
Amount Per Sering: Calories 299.9, Total Fat 2.8 g, Total Carbohydrate 58.2 g, Dietary Fiber 10.9 g, Protein 12 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...