Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cookies and Cream - and Pomegranates!

Pomegranate-Topped Ice Cream
The new year is upon us and that seems to mean only one thing: resolutions. Well, y'all know the husband and I got a jump-start on our household makeover. We've been eating healthier - more fruits and vegetables, which I've promised the husband won't hurt him - and we're paying closer attention to ingredients. And when I say we, I really mean we. I'm proud to say the husband flipped over a package of hamburger rolls the other day and shook his head in disbelief: "Seriously?! There shouldn't be that many ingredients in rolls."


I'm also happy to say that I moved out of my comfort zone a bit last weekend, and the experience was a total success. I bought a pomegranate. I've been eyeing them for a couple of weeks now, but I had no idea what to do with a pomegranate - or how to even get one open! Thank God for Google.




I chopped the top off of that baby and got to work. I cut slits around the fruit so it looked kind of like an orange, and then pulled the sections apart, dropping the pieces into my handy cold bowl of water. The inedible part floated nicely to the top, and I was able to pick the juicy seeds from the water with a slotted spoon.




A good 10 minutes later, I had two full cups of pomegranate seeds. So far, I've eaten them with yogurt, falafel balls and, yes, ice cream. Hey, a little ice cream now and then won't hurt. Portion control is also part of this new healthy lifestyle in the C household - just ask the husband.


The transition has been a learning process, to say the least. I know we're nowhere near our goal, but we're definitely on our way. No, we didn't check out the ingredient list on those rolls before we bought them, but I'm sure we will next time! And I can assure you I won't be wearing my very favorite white hoodie the next time I cut open a pomegranate. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on discovering pomegranates! I was raised having them as a special treat and have carried that love into adulthood. The health benefits are amazing too. If you look, you'll be able to find an amazing pomegranate wine. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I'm really enjoying finding new things to eat with my hard-earned pomegranates. Now if only the husband would give in and reap the health benefits we'd be set, ha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...