Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mama's Roasted Potato Wedges

Temperatures in the upper 60s and nothing but sunshine all weekend? Talk about spring fever! The husband and I spent the weekend outside enjoying the beautiful weather with the doggies. We were able to introduce Stella to a nearby park Chance has come to know and love. (We even let them get into the river. In January. Are we bad parents?) What an amazing weekend! That's really all there is to it. Naturally, we ended the weekend pretending it's May and fired up the grill. It's true the husband grills in winter, but not in shorts. So when he said he wanted to make hamburgers for dinner, I let him go stand in the fading sunshine, PBR in hand and do his thing. I told him I'd cover the veggies.

I've been cooking a lot lately from the newer books in my collection or just searching the Web for inspiration. But after talking to my cousin M yesterday and getting off the phone this afternoon with my momma and then my cousin K, I felt it necessary to pull out the cookbook our family put together years ago. I flipped  Generations II to an old faithful recipe my grandma, my mama, is known to bring to potlucks: Garlic Roasted Potato Wedges. 







Garlic Roasted Potato Wedges
From Generations II

2 potatoes

1 garlic clove
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp mixed up pepper
2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
(optional butter spray)

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; cut each half into 4 wedges. In a medium saucepan, place wedges and cover with water. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender; drain. 


Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and add potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with garlic, spices and 1 tsp cheese. Put under broiler for 10 minutes. Turn potatoes, sprinkle with another teaspoon cheese and broil another 10 minutes or until lightly brown.





Mama's recipe calls for 1/4 cup of butter to be melted in the pan before adding the potatoes and then brushed onto the potatoes. This makes the potatoes even more brown and wonderful, but I thought the husband and I could afford to cut a couple of calories. (We went out for Froyoz last night, and instead of eating fruit and granola on ours, we hit up the candy bar toppings. Ssshhhh.)

So even though I cut the potato recipe in half and served them sans butter, they were perfect with the husband's hamburgers; just like we were eating them at a picnic table, celebrating my cousin's birthday Labor Day weekend. I swear I almost forgot it could snow again next week. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm on such a potato kick these days and so yours look fantastic! Your weekend sounds like mine! I took my pup to the park to play on Saturday morning :) We both loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potatoes too. I'll eat them any way I can get them. These look fantastic (garlic and potatoes? Bring it on!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there....don't go out and buy buttermilk just for those caramelized onion mashed taters. For something like that you can just make it; 1 teaspoon vinegar per 1 cup regular milk, stir and let sit a few minutes. Personally, I'll make it with regular milk next time. I prefer not having that extra tang. Thanks for the visit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...