Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Peanut Butter & Honey Treats

I've been thinking for a couple of days now that I needed to use up the rather large box of store-brand crisp rice cereal in the back of our pantry. Yes, the thought of making a Cereal Killer Cocktail - or three - did cross my mind, but I didn't think the husband would enjoy that as much as me. So I tried to think of something we'd both enjoy - or something I at least thought sounded good and hoped he would, too. The husband loves Rice Krispie Treats and I love peanut butter. What would be better? I figured if Cereal Killer Cocktails weren't in my future, perhaps Peanut Butter & Honey Treats should be. 

I searched the Web a bit looking for a "healthy" Rice Krispie Treat, but basically once you add peanut butter, the extra calories are instantaneous. And when it comes to my peanut butter addiction, I'm willing to deal with the added calories. So here it is, my version of a Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat. The husband has taught me to love peanut butter and honey, so the honey was added with him in mind. And I've recently been sprinkling cinnamon on just about everything I put in my mouth, so that was a little something for me. 

The consistency of the bars wasn't that of a traditional ooey gooey Rice Krispie Treat, and I was nervous for a while that they weren't even going to hold together, but after about an hour in the fridge they cut perfectly. So we had nice peanut buttery snack - and put some old cereal to use. Now how in the world will I use up the rest of that ginormous box of cereal?

peanut

Peanut Butter & Honey Treats
Inspired by joyoushealth.ca

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal

Lightly spray a 8 x 8 inch pan with cooking spray. Heat the honey, peanut butter, vanilla and cinnamon over low heat. Stir the mixture until it's blended.
 

Remove from heat and add the rice cereal. Stire well until completely combined. Pour the cereal into your prepared pan and press into all the corners.

Allow to cool before cutting. Cooking time is actually cooling time. (You may throw these in the fridge if you're impatient!)


Makes 9 Servings
Amount Per Serving: 170 calories, 7 g fat, 25 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 17 g sugar, 4 g fiber

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I ever missed these...

    But ...

    Oh. My. Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...