Thursday, September 22, 2011

Steak With Creamy Mushroom Sauce

homemade mushroom sauce for steak

Our refrigerator is in one of those rare states in which it is full. There are more items in there than I'm afraid I even know. This means one of two things is going to happen: I'm going to be very good about searching through the fridge and putting our ingredients to use, or I'm going to find green hard-boiled eggs, a moldy container of sour cream and a shriveled up lemon in about a week - or two.



Don't judge. If you tell me you've never found those treasures in your icebox, I won't believe you.




So in an attempt to avoid finding slimy mushrooms stuffed in the back next to an open can of diced tomatoes from who knows when, I decided to make a creamy mushroom and onion sauce to go with tonight's dinner.



The husband grilled away outside in an evening drizzle, and I stood at the stove stirring and stirring. Oh, and I washed spinach, too.

And then I stirred a bit more. But it was totally worth it. This sauce was creamy, delicious and rather low-fat. I happily ate it on steak and spinach, and the husband thought it was pretty good on steak and whole wheat egg noodles. I'm not sure what you've got to use up in your fridge, but whatever it is, I bet there's a good chance it'll taste good with this mushroom sauce. If you disagree, this sauce is equally delicious on a spoon. (I know for a fact. I tried that after all of my steak and spinach was gone.)


Creamy Mushroom & Onion Sauce
Inspired by Better Homes and Gardens


1 tablespoon light butter or margarine


1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt (or a good dash of mixed-up salt)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream

Heat the butter in a medium saucepan. Add in the mushrooms and onions and cook over medium heat until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Add in the milk - all at once - and stir until completely combined.

Continue heating and stirring the mushroom/milk mixture until it begins to thicken and bubble. (This will take awhile.)

Once the mixture has thickened to your liking, turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream. Do not boil! You may keep the saucepan on the stovetop to keep the mixture warm, but you don't want it to boil.

Enjoy on beef, poultry, pasta or whatever suits your fancy.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Meghan... only you could make me interested in actually eating mushrooms. That looks divine.

    I really think if I'm ever employed again, I need to make a road trip. 1) For the food. 2) For some cold beer. 3) To catch up. 4) To explore all the disc golf courses you and the husband say are near you.

    Keep on cookin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you're more than welcome - we're here anytime you want a road trip! And we do definitely have a TON of places for disc golf around here. AND if you came to visit, I wouldn't make you eat mushrooms. I'd cook ya whatever you wanted - even peanut butter cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [Does a victory dance]

    Peanut butter cookies!

    You know that those peanut butter cookies make a road trip so possible. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...