Monday, January 30, 2012

Pulled Chicken With White Barbecue Sauce

Pin It
Pulled Chicken With White Barbecue Sauce
So far, we're two for two. Tonight marks our second night in a row of sticking to my menu plan for the week. I know, it's only Monday, but this is pretty huge for us. Something always seems to come up when I'm so organized as to plan an entire week's worth of meals: the meat doesn't thaw in time, we don't have beef broth when I swore we did, the husband gets mad at the dogs and decides to take me out instead of staying home for the evening.

Nothing got in the way of our pre-planned meal tonight, though, and I'm patting us on the backs. Not only did we eat the dinner I had planned, but we both really liked it. 


I'll admit I was a bit worried about dinner when I was making the sauce this morning. You see, I wasn't even sure the husband would go along with white barbecue sauce. 


Vinegar? Are you kidding me? Why isn't the sauce red?
I could hear it coming. 

But he saw the photo in my Cooking Light Cookbook before I could even bring up the subject and told me he thought it looked pretty good. Score!


And then there I was in the kitchen this morning stirring this sauce when I decided to lick the whisk before putting it in the sink.



The apple cider vinegar taste was just about unbearable. All I could think was that the husband was going to freak, and that we'd be forever tied to traditional tomato-based barbecue sauce. I covered the sauce up anyhow and stuck it in the fridge, crossing my fingers just about all day long hoping the sauce would, for lack of a better word, chill out while I was at work.

The truth is, this sauce didn't change much after I let it hang out in the fridge all day. It was still awfully vinegar-y come dinnertime, but paired with the chicken it was perfect. It is peppery, too, but it's good. 


The husband actually ate two chicken sandwiches covered with this sauce and said he'd like to have this again. A success, indeed. 


White Barbecue Sauce
Inspired by Cooking Light

1/4 cup low-fat mayo

1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Allow the sauce to come to room temp before serving. May be stored in the fridge for up to a week.


Amount per 2 tablespoons: 32 calories, 2 g fat, 1 g carb, 1 g protein


4 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised you stuck with the menu from the look of that dinner. What does surprise me is that you stuck with it even though you were afraid it wasn't going to taste good. To me, it looks amazing. I love white barbecue. And, I love Brussels sprouts. Can I come over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now why am I incapable of meal planning? If I could just put a little effort into it I could come up with amazing things like you do!

    I am inspired to work on it, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this would be great Super Bowl fare...it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lizzy! You've got a good idea. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...