Monday, March 11, 2013

Meatless Monday: [When You Need] Pasta & White Beans

Pin It


I spent $2 on orange juice one morning last week. In fact, I spent $2 on 12 oz. of orange juice. That’s absurd. But I woke up with a little scratch in my throat, and if the momma bear gets sick, this whole ship is goin’ down. So I needed the orange juice.

Needed. It.

It was a need like the need I had to get a Snickers bar out of the vending machine while working last weekend’s consignment sale — a need like the need I had to eat this simple and delicious pasta dinner.

You may argue that these are wants and not needs, but I will tell you that you’re wrong. Two nights ago I tried out a new slow-cooker recipe on the husband. It called for meat (we went with venison), broth, vegetables, beer. I thought we were grand.

It was awful. That’s all I’m going to tell you about that. We needed a good dinner after that mess.

Pasta and White Beans

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
red pepper flakes, about 1/2-1 teaspoon
black pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon
salt
3/4 cup sliced white mushrooms
1 can white beans (or whatever kind of beans you prefer)
1 1/2 cups red sauce (we used basil & garlic stuff in a jar!)
 4 servings whole-wheat pasta (we used penne)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil, onion and garlic in a large skillet over low-medium heat until garlic makes your kitchen smell amazing and onion softens. (I think I let mine cook for about 10 minutes.) Add in the red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt, to taste.

Stir in the (cleaned!) mushrooms and let them soften.

Put a pot of water on to boil.

Stir in the beans and sauce, and let the entire mixture warm. (You'll probably want to turn the heat down to low at this point.)

Cook, then drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the large skillet filled with the sauce and bean mixture. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...