Wednesday, March 13, 2013

WIAW #12: Oven-Roasted Broccoli

Pin It

I'm going to start answering to "Cookie Monster."

It has been a super long time since I've photographed everything I've eaten in a single day. I think that's probably because when I was carrying our trio, what I ate in a single day was super scary. 

I ate a lot. And I got really big (50.5 inches in diameter, to be exact). But I made really big babies (for triplets, at least). So it was totally worth it.

Now that I'm feeding all three of them, I still eat quite a bit. I don't count calories. I don't always think before I put food in my mouth, unless it has to do with how much I can eat in a given timespan: How much longer will the babies be happy? What time are they going to wake up? When do we need to feed them again?

And, no, I have no idea when this is all going to catch up with me. All I know is that I have 10 more pounds of baby weight to lose before I'm back to where I was when I started. I guess if I think I'm going to get there sooner rather than later I should probably be eating more veggies.

And as you'll see, I probably should have eaten more vegetables yesterday.

Almost every day of the week  begins with oatmeal.

Breakfast: old-fashoined oatmeal (good for makin' milk!); yogurt; a hard-boiled egg; about half a cup of half caff mixed with milk
Snack: a cheese stick; a pb granola bar; water
Lunch: leftover Mexican pasta casserole (possibly making an appearance on the blog soon); unsweetened applesauce; honey-nut toasted Os cereal; water
Snack: baby carrots; water; lactation cookies; lactation cookies; lactation cookies;
a leftover piece of meatloaf (thanks, Momma!)
Dinner: salad; polenta cakes with tomato sauce, pesto, mascarpone, reduced balsamic; milk

When the husband and I are on our own - sans company to cook us dinner every night - I've been eating a lot of broccoli to meet my vegetable quota. The husband absolutely hates broccoli, so this dish is all me. I love it, and it is a super quick and easy way to get vegetables on the table.

Happy eating green, y'all!


Oven-Roasted Broccoli

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. Throw broccoli in a bag, drizzle in some good olive oil. Sprinkle some Italian breadcrumbs into the bag. Hold the end of the bag so you trap air in the bag with the broccoli. Shake the broccoli to disperse the olive oil and breadcrumbs, or just rub the bag so you get the broccoli pieces coated. Then spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the broccoli out and top with some mixed-up salt or any spices you like. Roast the broccoli for 10 minutes, stir, then bake another 2 to 5 minutes or until broccoli is to your desired tenderness.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. A lot of that stuff looks good. And though you make that broccoli look good... I must stay away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super proud of you for breastfeeding those 3 babes! Strong work!! I have found myself starving all the time while breastfeeding only one baby, so I can only imagine how you must feel!!
    I also wanted to say that I am excited that you are blogging again! And it will be super fun when you can start blogging about all the new foods you are feeding the babies, once they start exploring the world of food. For those of us who love food, watching a new human discover it is so exciting :-) I have had a great time introducing Ellie to food.
    Hope you guys are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're still reading. I definitely want to get back into the swing of things, so I hope I can make posting a regular thing.

      Breastfeeding is seriously a full-time job - one baby, three babies, it is work. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it is a commitment and requires so much thought and planning and education, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :) I've recently realized how much I love to talk about breastfeeding with other moms. I so hope you'll chime in with any thoughts/tips/advice you have!

      Ellie must be into all sorts of things by now. What. A. Cutie. I must say, I also love the name. The husband suggested Elizabeth, but I told him we couldn't because my favorite nickname for it would be Ellie, and you already had a sweet Ellie!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...