Thursday, March 21, 2013

Strawberry Crisps Topped With Oats


Pin It
iPhone photos lit by the microwave hood light? Not that flattering.

My desire to eat oatmeal is becoming a bit scary. A bowl for breakfast every day? Check. Lactation oatmeal cookies? Almost always eaten in twos. Oatmeal smoothies? Don't tempt me.

All I had to do was read that oatmeal is good for your milk supply and I was hooked. Now, I have no idea whether it's my morning oatmeal or the brewer's yeast in the cookies that's helping me maintain my milk supply enough to feed triplets, but I don't plan to mess with the system anytime soon to find out. 

If there's anything I've learned since becoming pregnant with triplets it's this: If the method works, don't mess with it. 

If eating an organic apple every day while you're pregnant makes you happy, keep at it. If taking a nap on your lunch hour helps you get through first-trimester – and then third-trimester – drowsiness, rest. If your babies fall asleep in your arms every night before being placed in their cribs, let them. If consuming copious amounts of oatmeal helps you feed your sweet babies, eat up, my friend.

So when Momma left strawberries in my fridge and I came across a recipe for individual strawberry crisps that called for oatmeal, I was sold. Put those strawberries to good use and sneak in some oats? Yes, please.

This dessert was so easy to make and it tasted delicious. I'd definitely recommend it for a simple weeknight treat - perfect for those nights when you want a little something sweet after dinner but you don't want to spend time in the kitchen when you could be having tummy time with your trio in the living room.


The husband said he wasn't even that hungry for dessert when I had these baking in the toaster oven, but after just one bite, the man said they were quite yummy. And he even asked the following night if we had more strawberries to make these again. I think he's hooked.

My tips for next time:
- Just like the first time, melt the butter in the microwave for a few seconds, then add in the rest of the "topping" ingredients. This made cleanup super easy.
- Use less sugar. I don't think we needed the whole 1/4 cup brown sugar. These were a little too sweet.
- Add more strawberries. Even the husband said these could use more fruit. (Score!)
- Make sure we have enough strawberries to have these again.

2 comments:

  1. I love me some oatmeal, so this looks divine. Wonder how this would taste with some peanut butter?

    (FYI: As I know you a peanut butter nut, too, I'm looking to brew a Peanut Butter Porter. Not kidding.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How would it taste with peanut butter? How? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...