|My first red tomato of the season, a little fresh basil and some chives|
1. The husband actually kissed me when I got home today. (He has been avoiding me ever since my body turned his "allergies" into a sinus infection and forced me to be on antibiotics. Ick.)
2. Yesterday the husband told me my (one) almost-red tomato wasn't red enough to pick. Today when I got home from work, I told him it was perfect.
3. I came home to two brown dogs who stayed in their cages all day. (Mr. Pants has developed the ability to escape his new cage no matter how tight the door is shut, no matter where it is in the garage and no matter how small the hole is that he can create between the bars. I think his bones compress.)
4. Dinner was ready in a snap - less than 20 minutes, to be exact.
5. The husband liked dinner, even though he asked if it was going to be like Tomato Cheese Dreams and told me that it actually tasted like breakfast. He'd eat 'em again.
2 whole wheat pitas
4 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
1/2 tablespoon fresh chives
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon mixed-up salt
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1/4 green onion, sliced
1/2 cup chopped mushroom pieces
salt and pepper, to taste
Toast the pitas in the toaster oven (or under a broiler, if it isn't 90 degrees where you live) until they're slightly brown. Set aside.
Heat the cream cheese in the microwave for 15 seconds. (If you aren't in a hurry, I bet you could skip the microwave and let the cream cheese soften on the counter. But I didn't see anything wrong with the microwave.)
Mix the cream cheese, chives, garlic and mixed-up salt in a small bowl and set aside.
Coat a small skillet with cooking spray and saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms for about five minutes or until just beginning to soften. (Cook 'em longer if you are like the husband and like mushy vegetables.)
Coat the pitas with the cream cheese mixture and then cover with veggies.
Return the pitas to the oven and toast or cook at 350 degrees F for another 5 minutes or so. You want the cheese to get nice and warm and the pitas to brown more.