Friday, February 3, 2012

Tackling the Laundry Room

Pin It


Before: Boring Beige Laundry Room
*Sometimes there's a little more to my life than food. Friday's the day I'll share, I mean, most Fridays I hope to share those bits with you. We'll cover crafts, music, travel, who knows.


We got a new business card in the mail yesterday from the good Southern man who helped us buy our house. He was absolutely fantastic, laid-back, honest, knowledgeable and personable, so I'm happy he's kept us on his contact list. The husband and I have already talked about how "when we want to sell this house," we're definitely going to enlist the help of our favorite Realtor.

We're not going anywhere for a while, but we have dreams of a charming Craftsman and built-in bookshelves that we just can't shake. We know we're not living in our forever home.



Our little 1,200-square-foot home has made many a dream come true, and we absolutely love our big backyard. This just isn't where we'll be growing old. So as much as we like to landscape, garden, and make improvements and updates to our home, we're constantly thinking about the future and how our home will be perceived by potential buyers.

My biggest concern, beyond the scratches the dogs have left in the garage door: my love of paint.

The husband has been agreeable with just about every idea I've had thus far. He went for green in the living room, and the decision to put up beadboard was uncontested. The man even let me paint one of the walls in our bedroom a deep dark purple. It's so dark it sometimes doesn't even look purple. I love it so much.

This weekend, we're tackling the laundry room. It has come a long way since 2009:


But I've yet to add paint to the room. Luckily for me, the husband has agreed to the addition of a little red. So we decided this morning to pick up some swatches tonight, choose a color and get to work tomorrow.

As I walked out the door this morning, I said, "Oh, and I want to look at chalkboard paint, too."

"Yeah, we can do that," the husband said. I was beyond thrilled, and I think he could see the excitement in my eyes. I've been wanting to paint one of the walls with chalkboard paint for quite some time now.


"But," he raised his eyebrows, emphasizing how serious he was. "You're getting a board. You can paint a board. You're not painting chalkboard paint anywhere in this house. We want to sell it someday, remember?"

Yes, Husband. This is for sure our home, but you don't need to remind that this isn't our forever home. Our forever home includes a wall painted with chalkboard paint and, quite possibly, a library.

7 comments:

  1. I never am shocked with colors people pick.

    I painted for six summers -- two in college dorms and four as a house painter. One summer we painted a house that took two weeks or so. Beautiful. Simple colors. Really intricate details on the porch (that was my job as I don't like ladders and roofs). As we finished, the owner decided she wanted different colors. Two more weeks of painting. Five colors. The banisters on the porch became three colors. For two weeks, I painted rails, spindles and the such. Sheesh.

    So don't go too crazy on the husband. Just paint. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe you should come help, then! The husband is a horrible painter. He admits that himself, so I'm not being mean. He had the roller in the bathroom - the room we painted chocolate brown - for literally two seconds and rolled the ceiling. I just looked at him. He gave the roller back and walked out of the room.

      Painting spindles sounds like torture. Luckily we don't have any. Ha.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE red...it will look fabulous in your laundry room. And I can't wait to see what you do with that chalkboard paint :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few houses ago, I painted our living room and dining room fire engine red. It took SO many coats. After painting just about every room in the house bright colors, we lived there another year and then moved. Since then, I have kept the houses we lived in fairly neutral. That chalkboard paint sounds awfully fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chalkboard paint? You sound so knowledgeable about such things. I was thinking - what the heck is that? lol Love your laundry room now - it is very cute! Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great Super Bowl Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so badly want chalkboard paint in our house. This summer I'm planning on redecorating Dudette's room while she's away at her grandparents. Right now it's a very girly yellow with flowers and butterflies. She hates it. But, she loves Spiderman. So, I'll do all white walls with a huge mural of Spiderman swinging through a cityscape. Adding a wall of chalkboard paint would fit in perfectly and would thrill her.

    Anyhow, I hope you'll post pictures as you go through the laundry room process! It's a cute space and I can't wait to see what you do. (I laughed out loud with your roller in the bathroom comment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dudette is going to love the chalkboard paint! I know I would. :) What a great idea. I'll be looking forward to hearing how that goes. Will you do the mural yourself? Sounds awesome!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...