Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thanksgiving Trial Run: Buttermilk Cornbread Dressing

cornbread dressing recipe

Buttermilk Cornbread Dressing
Slightly Adapted From the Recipe Featured in Country Living, November 2011

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, chopped
1 batch moist cornbread, allowed to dry at room temp for two days and cut into 1-inch pieces
a dash of lemon juice
1 1/2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about seven minutes, stirring frequently.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Put the onion mixture into a large bowl. Add in the cornbread. Coat with lemon juice, broth, butter, salt and pepper. Toss until moistened.


Spread in a 13-x-9-inch baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes or until crusty on top and hot all the way through.


Enjoy!


The original recipe called for sausage, pecans and parsley, but I hate sausage, Little Big Brother is allergic to nuts and I didn't have any parsley in the house. For Thanksgiving, though, I think it'll be worth it to invest in some parsley. It'll brighten things up a bit and add a little more flavor, I think.


This dressing was good - the husband liked it and the tiny piece I allowed myself was awfully tasty. We both agreed, though, that it was quite buttery and next time I should cut the bread into smaller pieces. One-inch pieces were a bit large. The husband even suggested I cook a little onion in the cornbread next time so all of the onion pieces don't sink to the bottom of the baking dish. I suggested I throw some celery in when the big day comes around, but the husband is pushing back on that idea. Apparently he didn't miss the traditional celery, but I think others might.


Overall, this was a winner and will definitely be on our Thanksgiving table. It may need a few tweaks before it hits our family members' plates, but it's a keeper for sure.


3 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this! :) and Im with you, Im not a big sausage fan.... at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hate sausage? Wow. I love the stuff. That being said, I don't think I'd miss it in the stuffing, which looks and sounds delicious. I'd have to go with the nuts though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't put my finger on what it is that I don't like about sausage - fennel? I'll admit this recipe does call for sausage sans fennel, but I don't think I've ever seen it in the store.

    And I'd love to include the nuts, but that'll take all the fun out of it for the brother. Maybe I can sub pine nuts and get a similar mouthfeel. You think?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...