Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thanksgiving Trial Run: Moist Cornbread

moist cornbread recipe
Moist Cornbread
I'm addicted to recipes. Was it not obvious? Well, now I've admitted it. And with this addiction comes magazine reading, cookbook collecting, Google searching, Foodbuzz gazing. I can't stop. I collect recipes, and I look forward to making new dishes for the husband. And when I know I have family and/or friends coming to our house, I get super excited about what I can cook them. Super. Excited.

But my excitement goes right out the window when I try out a recipe that fails and leaves me angry and embarrassed. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," the husband will tell me. Well, what do you do when you don't necessarily have a tried-and-true recipe under your belt for said dish, but you really want to serve it to company. Do a trial run. Duh.

I act like I've done this forever. Really, though, I'm more likely to make a new recipe when our parents come to visit, have it fail, get all bent out of shape when it doesn't look like the picture and ask myself why I didn't make it before our company arrived. So I'm going to - finally - follow my own advice.



Part 1 Thanksgiving Trial Run: Moist Cornbread

As I collected recipes on my flight from Vegas to Chicago last week, I came across a recipe for cornbread dressing. Wanting to make as many of our Thanksgiving dishes from scratch, I was sold. And scratch-made cornbread dressing calls for homemade cornbread. So when the husband told me he wanted chili for Sunday dinner, I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to try out this newfound cornbread recipe.

The Beekman Boys' Supermoist Cornbread
Slightly Adapted From the Recipe Featured in Country Living, November 2011

1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place butter in 10-inch cast-iron skillet and transfer to the oven until the butter melts, about five minutes.

Stir together the cornmeal, sugar, soda and salt in a large bowl.

In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, yogurt and eggs until well-combined. Pour the melted butter around to coat the skillet. Pour the excess butter into the buttermilk mixture.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just combined and pour into the prepared skillet. 

Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown with a crusty top.

Enjoy!

The husband, who isn't always a huge lover of cornbread thought this was really good. I had a tiny, tiny bite and had to agree. It was supermoist. The husband actually said the reason he doesn't always like cornbread is because it can be so dry, but he liked this version a lot - even the next day. It was still moist! I'm really looking forward to making this into dressing once company arrives.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I always serve cornbread with our Thanksgiving meal. I love its connection to the early Thanksgiving celebrations. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good cornbread, but so often they're overly crumbly, dry and sad. This looks perfect and ready for some butter and honey! ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, we've always served rolls, but I like the thought of cornbread. It would be much more traditional. Nice point!

    Megan, honey and butter? Now you're talkin'! That sounds dee-lish. I'm sure the husband would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my do I love me some cornbread. Looks tasty as always. I get hungry reading your blog. I need to start stopping by after I eat and maybe I won't get so hungry!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...