Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pumpkin-Spice Coffee Brownies

coffee brownie recipe

For weeks we had a bag of mostly empty Godiva coffee hanging out in the back of our fridge. Every time I would open the fridge to shuffle things around - especially when trying to make room for all of those Thanksgiving ingredients - I had to move that bag to another shelf. The husband offered to throw it in the coffee maker one morning, allowing us to wake up with just one more taste of fall. I told him to leave it. 

The bag only contained about three tablespoons of coffee, but I wasn't ready to use it up.


A couple of months ago I had a slight dilemma and asked for suggestions as to
what I should make for a bake sale at work. The husband voted for oatmeal cookies, saying pumpkin-y coffee-flavored brownies might not go over well with the masses. But Little Big Brother (who I actually think should be referred to as Big Little Brother from here on out) was all about the coffee brownies. The only issue was that he was miles and miles away and wouldn't be able to test my recipe. 

What'd Thanksgiving mean for me, besides pink stuff and showing off a brand-new apron I sewed for myself (and one for Momma)?


Big Little Brother would be here.







So the day before he, Momma and Ant arrived, I spent some time in the kitchen baking. I made the husband a non-pumpkin version of this recipe, which he enjoyed immensely on his lunch break.




And when Big Little Brother got here, he was more than happy to test out the pumpkin and coffee-flavored treats I made. In all honesty, after I made these brownies I worried they'd be gritty and that I should have made the coffee and poured it into the mix instead of putting the grounds in with everything. But the brother thought the brownies were fine and assured me they weren't gritty. Actually, he thought they were more than fine and ate quite a few of them over the course of his visit, and that made me very happy I saved that last bit of coffee for this very occasion. 

Happy birthday, Big Little Brother. I wish you were still here eating brownies. I'd even eat one with you, seeing as how it's your birthday and all.


Pumpkin-Spice Coffee Brownies

This recipe is from our family cookbook. I'm not sure where it originated. If you know, feel free to share, and I'll give credit where credit is due!

1/4 cup butter
5 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Godiva Pumpkin-Spice coffee grounds
2/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a square 8-by-8-inch metal pan.


Heat the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat.


Stir in remaining ingredients, and bake until the center is set, about 30 minutes. Let brownies cool completely, then cut. Store brownies tightly covered.


Enjoy!





Please note this post is part of a Foodbuzz Tastemaker program with Godiva Coffee. I was sent free samples so I could share my honest opinion with you. 

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...