Monday, October 10, 2011

Low-Carb Waffles

low-carb waffle recipe
High-Protein, Low-Carb Waffles
You know that feeling you get in the back of your throat after you've just eaten so much bread so quickly that you're about to get the hiccups and know you're going to need some peanut butter? No? Are you telling me you've never eaten bread so fast you've gotten that hiccups or that you don't cure hiccups with peanut butter?

Oh, well. Let's not start that debate.

Let me just tell you that these waffles were a long time coming. I tried them with three egg whites, which resulted in a volcano of a waffle erupting all over our kitchen countertop. I tried adding water, which made the waffle iron sizzle and steam - and make very crispy, airy waffles.

Finally I stuck with two egg whites, skipped the water and ended up with waffles.

Thank God.

I finally have a "recipe" (should I actually say "technique"?) for waffles that aren't filled with carbs! They're high in protein, filling and so bread-y and not egg like that when I ate them really fast, I felt like I was about to get the hiccups.

You may not know what that feels like, but I was reachin' for the peanut butter. And, in my book, that means this breakfast was a serious success.

low-carb and high-protein waffles
Don't they look like real waffles?
Low-Carb Waffles
Serves 1

2 egg whites
1 1/2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use 100% whey protein powder)
a sprinkle of cinnamon or apple pie spice
cooking spray

Whisk or stir two egg whites and 1 1/2 scoops protein powder in a small bowl. (Vanilla whey protein powder or chocolate whey protein powder will work equally as well, in my book.)

Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray and let it heat up.

Pour your batter onto the waffle maker and make yo' waffles. I usually get 2-3 waffles per recipe. Use a spatula to make use of ALL of that yummy batter.

Top with your favorite toppings and love your low-carb breakfast! I usually put spray butter and sugar-free syrup on mine, but there's a chance I'll be eating a chocolate waffle with peanut butter on top in the near future.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I get the hiccups when I eat a starchy thing and then drink too soon afterwards. I've never tried curing them with peanut butter but am more than willing to give it a go. There are way worse ideas.

    Your waffles do look delicious; very healthy, but delicious. I don't know that I can get the healthy part past my family unless they're doused with butter and maple syrup, which kinda takes away the healthy thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up. ;-) I'm not sure the husband would eat these, either, which is why I'm forced to eat them when I'm alone. Ha!

    Def try the peanut butter technique next time you get the hiccups. You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of low carb waffles.

    And I also like knowing that no matter what in this world, I know someone else who is like me in that there is the belief that peanut butter can cure anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. do u think this will work with pure protein powder in rich chocolate :-) i don't keep vanilla in the house bc it makes me gag

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we go through the commercial waffler, it is completely amicable in providing the state-of-the art- services within the food industry. This incorporates all the basic elements of the ordinary maker along with the aspects of the modern technological one. Find more at this website.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...