Friday, October 7, 2011

Winning Chicken Dinner

easy chicken cordon blue recipe
Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner
Bake chicken, ham and cheese. Who knew that's all I had to do to make the husband an ah-maze-ing dinner? Seriously. He loves chicken cordon bleu so much (news to me) that I've made it twice in the last three weeks - and one of the last three weeks we weren't even home. So let's just say I've made him this meal twice in two weeks.

I can't complain, though. This a simple dinner that tastes great, is low in carbs and the husband absolutely loves it.


The last time I made chicken cordon bleu, we toyed with rolling the chicken with the ham and cheese, pan-frying it to get it to brown a little and then baking it.

easy chicken cordon bleu recipe

It looked good, didn't it? It was good. And the cheese melted quite nicely inside that warm chicken pocket. But we kept worrying the chicken wasn't cooked. (Yes, even with a meat thermometer, we worried the chicken hadn't cooked all the way through.)

So tonight we just topped the chicken with ham and cheese. The husband said he likes both techniques. His only suggestion was that I put a layer of cheese between the chicken and ham next time so everything sticks together better. 

And, yes, Husband. There will be a next time.

Chicken Cordon Bleu
Inspired by Better Homes and Gardens
Serves 2

12 ounces chicken
a few twists of ground garlic and pepper
2 slices deli smoked ham, each cut in half
2 slices low-fat Swiss cheese, each cut in half

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.

Sprinkle each chicken breast with a few grinds of garlic and pepper. (Little Big Brother recently introduced me to this product sold in the spice aisle. I suggest you check it out.)

Top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese, then the ham, spread evenly over the chicken, and then another slice of cheese. 

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Check the chicken to see if it is done. Once it has reached 165 degrees F, you're ready to eat.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I know! Isn't it the most magical dish? I had never made it before and then found it in a magazine and gave it a try. You'd have thought I'd bought him a BMW or something. It takes comfort food to a new level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's seriously so simple and almost sounds strange to put those ingredients together, but we're fans! I think the husband actually wants a little ranch dressing on his next time, too. We'll see. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum.

    As I'm sure you'll remember the days back at the ol' DD, you know one of my favorite sayings is "Winner, winner, chicken dinner..."

    So I think your title on this post is awesome. And I think that would be said for this meal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...